Oil or grease fires are among the most common types of kitchen fires we see. In fact, cooking is the most common cause of home kitchen fires, according to the National Fire Protection Association. Of those cooking fires, the majority are caused by oil or grease.
Whether your kitchen fire is at home or a restaurant, how to clean up after a grease fire is different from cleaning up other types of fires. Even if smothered quickly, a kitchen oil fire can leave behind nasty soot and odors. If the grease splatters, the affected area spreads with it.
Soot from grease fires stains walls and covers appliances, floors, and all other surfaces with an oily residue and overpowering odor. To clean up after a grease fire, you have to use the correct, professional equipment and solutions—otherwise, you can easily smear the mess further.